Oct 19, 2008

I DON'T GET IT !!

There have been a few posts on blogs about copyright infringement and such when it comes to patterns, fabric and making items from both of them.
I am not understanding how a designer puts out a product- either pattern or fabric and then says that you cannot make something and sell it.
I understand that you can not take credit for a pattern that a designer put their hard work into and totally agree with that, but come on - you are not suppose to buy their fabric and then make something with it and resell it? What the --$@!** .
Many people buy fabric and make items for craft shows, gifts, ebay or etsy shops and sell it.
What is the sense of buying fabric if you cannot make something with it and sell it if you so wish?
I just cannot get my head around that.
Do they not design fabric to sell? and yet they say we cannot make anything to sell with it?
Please someone explain this to me!!!
I was sent a link to this website and it makes for interesting read and confuses the matter even more.
Go see for yourself and let me know what you think: http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/HallOfShame/HallOfShame.shtml

2 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Wow! What a great topic for a discussion. I totally agree with you though! You can't sell a pattern and then put limitations on what a person who buys the pattern does with whatever the make.

Bethany said...

It's a giant mess and these companies are just greedy and are shooting themselves in the foot. Why should I buy fabric and patterns that are limited?

I don't buy patterns that give limitations or fabric companies that are obnoxious about it.

How they see it is this: If you buy a pattern at 10 dollars and sell 5 quilts with it, they are are losing 40 dollars in pattern sales.

If you use licensed fabric and then sell something with it, again they are losing money in the amount you are selling.

The other thing that is totally stupid is that all these companies want credit for their things on your quilt labels.

I am not about to write a quilt label stating the fabric company and which fabrics I used. Or the pattern company, the stencil company, the pen company that I wrote the label with.

I do write the pattern and the designer on my quilt but that's it.

There are quilt designers that are really cool about what you do with it. Miss Rosie's Quilts states you can make 10 quilts with her pattern. Not all of them are stupid.

LOL. I've ranted enough.